Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Curiosty and Blogging Etiquette

They say that
curiosity kills the cat.
 I may  be putting my life on the line
(I'm sure I was cat in another life),
but I've decided it's worth the risk.

Since I consider myself
still fairly new at this blog stuff,
(well, truth be told, I am approaching the one year mark)
I have some questions.
Therefore,
I turn to you savvy bloggers
as well as my readers
for some wisdom and advice.

Here's what I think I've learned so far:

 1)  :) are not allowed.
2)  One should limit the use of an ! .
3)  One should  give credit where credit is due.
i.e. If you reference another blogger,
give that blogger their due and name them.

Hmm...wow...I'm a bit ashamed of myself.
It doesn't seem as though I've learned much in a year.
*sigh*
Good thing I am coming clean
and asking all of you what
else I need to know.

Now, here are some of my questions,
for the bloggers:

1)  If one doesn't have pictures,
should one not post?
2)  What is your advice for getting followers?
3) Should a blogger be consistent and only
blog about a particular subject matter?
4) Do most bloggers believe in the
theory "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours...
as in, if I follow you, will  you follow me?
5)  Are shorter posts better than longer posts?
6) Is it wise to link your post to
Facebook, Twitter, etc.?

To the blog readers:

1)  What makes you want to follow a blog?
2) Do you find it too difficult to follow a blog?
3)  Do you like a variety of topics?
4)  Do you follow just a few blogs
or several?
5)  Do you have your own blog?
If you do, please let me know,
I'm always on the lookout for a good blog!

I personally, would like to expand the scope of blogs I follow.
I'm looking to support the smaller blog at this time...
I consider anything small to be 25 or less followers.
If you have any suggestions for me,
please let me know,
I'd love to check them out!

I will be eternally grateful for your
comments, suggestions, constructive criticisms, etc.

As I've preciously stated,
so much to learn
with such a little brain...
but thanks to you,
I just might be able to do it! 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good questions -- I've had some of those same questions myself but never knew enough to post them.
P.S. I'm a Minnesota gal also. Although maybe ex-pat as I've lived in Illinois for the last thirty years. My heart is still up north...

Anonymous said...

I've only been blogging for a little over 6 months, so I'm probably not the right one to answer your questions!

But here's my 2-cents worth. I do read some blogs that dont have pictures, but I've never written a post without at least one photo. I think it really adds to the post.

And I think the only way to increase your traffic is to just keep posting comments on other blogs. I've done this, but only on blogs that are really interesting to me. (I ALWAYS visit and comment when another blogger leaves a comment on mine. I may not return to her blog, but I visit once to thank her.)

And I think it just takes time. As my hubby keeps telling me: "Rome wasn't built in a day".

And I've found several other new bloggers, and we're kind of supporting each other!

Kandi said...

Those are the questions I think we all have, Jill. It's hard to get followers...there are just so many blogs out there, it's amazing! But visiting others and making blog friends is a good way to do it. I need to do that more! :) Oh yeah, I suppose some people hate that I use smileys but I don't care. Sometimes you just need to do what you want to do. I think SOMETHING is always going to bug SOMEONE out there. Ha!

Betty said...

It would seem participating in link parties helps in getting more traffic. Naturally, some of the lookers become Followers. I am amazed at how many link parties some of these bloggers participate in weekly! Then I think there are some "groups" you can join, and what is "invite your friends", I don't completely understand what these are or how they work, or for that matter Facebook. Is it advantageous to have a Facebook account?