Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Imagination

It's not often that I make references to a TV show I like.
I'm about to change that today.

I am a 53 year old Gleek. 
For those of you that don't know what that is,
I will explain.
There is a TV show called Glee.
Kids that are fans of the show
are known as Gleeks.

I was initially drawn to this show
because of the music.
And the dancing (my hidden dream job was to be a dancer).
I have never been disappointed in either.
Occasionally, they deal with some
subject matters that might make me cringe,
but the endings always move me...
be it anger, sadness, joy, or something more,
something deeper, some unexplainable.

There is a character that many of you may know.
Her name is Sue Sylvester.
To put it mildly,
she is a stinker.
Mean spirited, spiteful, selfish,
the list could go on and on and on.

But I love her.

How you ask?
Through Sue, we are reminded
that everyone has a heart.
For whatever reason, and there always is a reason,
they might not be willing to share it with us.

You see, the character, Sue, had a special needs sister.
She loved her sister. Laughed with her, snuggled with her,
went places with her...she adored her.  She was her sisters
advocate.

I can see a lot of me in Sue.

I think we are both often misunderstood
in our passion to protect those we love and those
that don't have a voice.
Sue has also embraced a special needs student.
One that shares Downs Syndrome with her sister.

Last nights episode, said goodbye to Sue's sister.
She passed away.
We got to see a softer side of Sue.
A glimpse into what makes her who she is.
It serves to me as a reminder not to
judge others so quickly.
I never know what is going on behind
their 'closed doors.'

The show had some absolutely magnificent songs last night.
I'd love to share them all with you ( I really would like to make you
a cup of coffee or tea and invite you to sit and watch the show with me).
But alas, I can't do that.

So, I'm going to ask you to take the time to watch
a video from last night's episode.
Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbr-vhxn7aY
If you're anything at all like me,
grab a tissue...or a box of them.

With Love,
Jill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really bad, but the only tv we seem to watch around here involves either racing or the weather.
And, facing this tooth extraction today, I didn't click on the link because I don't really need anything else to make me cry. (Maybe I'll watch it when this is behind me!)
Have a good day!

TexWisGirl said...

oh, i'm glad i came back here after you left your comment on my place. i saw this episode (i'm a 47 yr old Gleek) and just bawled and bawled and bawled. it was SO touching. the show does a lot of racy, spectacular things, but when it goes to the heart, it goes deep. that's what i love about it!