Friday, December 17, 2010

The Christmas Heart


I've been hearing a lot of sad stories lately.
Each one has touched my heart and made me feel pretty blue myself.

I know of a lot of families who just aren't getting a long right now.
Some cases, it's due to people holding onto old grudges.
Others are cases of having to be right, gossip, jealousy,
or hurt feelings, to name a few.

I don't profess to know much.
But there are a few things I know quite a bit about.
I wish I didn't.
But I do.

Of course, as much as I adored my parents,
we had our share of arguments.
 My siblings wouldn't be  my siblings if we didn't sometimes
fight like cats and dogs.

Here are a few things I have learned.

One is, your parents will not always be with you.
Neither will your aunts and uncles, nor grandparents.
We can never go back.
We can never gain "just one more minute with them."
No one, and I mean no one,
can replace them.

Secondly, no matter how much my siblings
and I may argue or disagree,
we will always, always be there for each other.
That is a bond that can never be broken.
I think we each know that if the other one needs something,
the others will step up to help.

In our youth,
we think life will go on forever.
We can be too easily pulled in directions we shouldn't be.
It might be our own egos,
peer pressure,
the need to be right,
or the need or desire to feel superior to others.

As we age,
it's so easy to look back with clarity and see
that sometimes, it was pure, immature stubbornness
that ofter distracted us from what's most important
in life.
I'm hear to tell you,
we can't go back.
Only forward.
We each have the choice to do so.
Each and every day.

So here's my Christmas wish for you today.
Make amends.
Apologize.
Love each other.

This is the most wonderful time of the year, but
only if you have someone that loves you...
loves you through the good, the bad and the ugly.

Take the time to tell someone you love them.
I can promise you that you won't regret it.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I love you Jill. I love your intelligence and your kindness. I love watching you grow and how you help me grow. I love how you stick up for the underdog, children and anyone else who needs a champion. I love your good cooking. I love your laugh. I love playing silly games with you and I love knowing that I can always call you when I need an ear to listen and someone to set me straight. I love your 12 days of Christmas thoughts. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Kandi said...

Another great reminder, Jill!