Monday, May 30, 2011

Herbs Anyone?

Do you remember
Scarborough Fair
by
Simon and Garfunkle?
I always loved it...
especially the chorus:

 
"Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.
Remember me to one who lives there,
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme."

For some unknown reason
(I've given up on trying to figure why and when
certain things pop into my brain),
that song has been reeling in my head.

So have memories
of some wonderful, delicious,
bar-b-qued salmon
that my niece made me a few
years ago.

So today,
I treated myself to my own
potted herb garden.

I had already planted basil:


Basil means:
 Royal, kingly.
I just love the taste of it.
Must be the Sicilian part of me.

While at the grocery store
today, I discovered this:


It includes:

Rosemary,
which means remembrance and fidelity.
It is often tucked into a brides bouquet
and/or the grooms boutonniere.
And also very appropriate for today, I thought.

Thyme,
which means to ward off evil
and negativity.
Who can't do without that?

and...

Oregano,
which means
joy of the mountain.


I just plan on using them
for cooking but
I thought it was fun
to know what they all mean.

Oh, and for anyone wondering,
if I remember correctly,
my niece placed a huge fillet of salmon on foil then
added sprigs of rosemary, some onions and
lemons on top of it.
She then wrapped it all up
in the foil and grilled it.

Delish!

4 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

now you've made me hungry (and i can almost smell the herbs!)

Betty said...

Yes, I remember Simon & Garfunkle's Scarborough Fair, one of my favs. Fresh herbs are THE Best. Try whole basil leaves on pizza, Mmmmmm. I loved learning the meaning of these herbs, Thank you and your salmon sounds wonderful! Hugs.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a salmon fan, and I have no luck with herbs.

But I'm definitely a Simon & Garfunkel fan!

Young Adventures... said...

We love fresh herbs!! Brian just planted most of ours this weekend. I can't wait to start cooking with them. We have a really good recipe for Salmon grilled with basil that is perfect summer food. We'll have to post it this summer for you Jill. Have a great week!