Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"It's Easier Not to Hope"

A few months ago  I heard these very words spoken by a mother:
"It's easier not to hope."
I'm not going to go into the story of why she felt that way as it doesn't really matter.
What mattered to me is those are the saddest words I've ever heard.

I mean, where would we all be without hope?
What kind of a Christmas would it be if children didn't hope for Santa to come?
Can you imagine a daughter not hoping for a date to her prom?
A mother and father not hoping for a healthy baby?
A young man hoping for a yes when he proposes to the love of his life?

Or how about a child's nose pressed against the window watching the mounting snowfall
and not hoping for a day off from school?
The traveler not hoping there are no delays due to weather?
Or a child not hoping for a big payout from the tooth fairy?
A mother not hoping to score on a big clothing sale for her children?

On the more serious side...
I can't imagine not hoping for a cure for cancer.
Or good health for those I love.
Or hoping for an end to the recession.
Or for people to become involved in what they believe.
For the protection of children.
Good quality care of the elderly.
For no more homeless people.

Or for the acceptance of those different than others.
That people will treat special needs people with respect
and to understand the struggles of the parents of special needs children.
For the proper education of children.
For the safe return of our soldiers.
And for everyone to have love.

I can't imagine not hoping for everyone to have hope.
Without it, I think it would be a very sad world to live in.
I have been praying for that mother to find hope again.
I hope you are hopeful today and always.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You put my feelings into words today!

Kayla said...

I could not survive without hope. But there have been a few moments in my life where I have felt hopeless. Thankfully, they didn't last long and I had children to bring my back from that abyss. But it did give me empathy and a way to see how people get stuck in that place.

Once again, your writing painted vivid pictures in my mind of all those hopeful faces!!!

Valerie Godsey said...

Your thoughts are poignant. I hope you never stop writing.