Thursday, August 19, 2010

Oh Deer!

This spring, I excitedly planted two topsy turvy's with tomatoes in great anticipation of the juicy, flavorful tomatoes I could savor this summer!
In addition, I even built and erected a system to hang them from to give them ample support as each one can weigh up to 60 pounds when filled with dirt and water.  I'm happy to report that my support system worked!  In addition to the two tomato plants, I also planted a topsy turvy with strawberries!

I adore the topsy turvy method of gardening.
You don't have to weed anything!
I have a hard enough time trying to keep my
flower beds weed free.
I don't need to add anything else to the equation.

I watered my plants every day.
Every two to three weeks, I fed them.
I even talked to them.
(Shhh...please don't pass that last item around).
I was determined!
I was diligent!
I was devoted!

I have been constantly checking my "babies" the last two weeks.
My tomato plants were producing tomatoes!
Last night before bed, I decided today would be the day they would be ripe enough to pick.
I dreamed of those tomatoes.
Would I eat them plain?
In  a salad?
Perhaps a BLT?
My mouth was salivating.
I couldn't wait!

I arose with much anticipation this morning!
Today was the day to eat my first homegrown tomato!
I slipped on my flip flops and headed across the lawn to carefully pick them from the vine.

Oh. What?  I can't see any red.
Maybe the plant spun around in the night.
No.  That couldn't be.  I can always see the red from my driveway.
My footsteps quickened as my anxiety level rose.
Oh no.  They were GONE!
All of the ripe tomatoes and some of the green ones were
GONE!

My heart sank as my eyes dropped to the ground.
There I found one lonely top of a tomato left to rot in the dirt.
Beside it, deer prints.
I imagine the deer looked something like this while eating my tomatoes:

It's beautiful, isn't it?
*Sigh*
I guess I'll try to find a Farmer's Market this weekend.
I know the tomatoes will be good.
But they won't be mine.


2 comments:

Kandi said...

Sad!!! Deer are beautiful but they are sure a pain sometimes...maybe next year you'll have to hang your plants 12 feet off the ground. But that creates a watering issue. :)

I was thinking of trying the topsy turvy system and I'm glad to hear you liked it. Until the deer, of course.

Anonymous said...

Maybe on the deck next year? Spray the rest with some kind of repellent. Darned old deer :(
Teresa