I think what I've always appreciated the most about not working is taking the time to notice the little things.
As I've reentered the work force, I'm trying very hard not to lose sight of them.
These are my little thing observations over the last month.
* Noticing the beautiful, crisp, autumn sky.
* How nice it is to have a purring kitty greet me at the end of the day.
* Being reminded of how important our role of parent is, no matter how old the child is. Noted as a young man teared up
because his father couldn't attend his soccer game.
* A janitor with the bluest eyes and biggest smile of anyone
I've ever known. Changing the course of the day for many
as he greets them by name. Not just a few, rather the 100's
he has taken the time to get to know, by
making the effort.
* Appreciating a rainbow on my "long" commute.
* No matter what our insecurities or shortcomings,
to face the world head on. It's more accepting than we often believe.
* That love finds it's way and can be defined by no one.
* How great is can be not to set the alarm clock.
* To come back together with family at the end of a long day.
* How much I can learn by watching my daughter and her young man "fall in love."
* How a phone call can lift ones spirits to new heights.
* How grateful I am to blogger and the people
that come to share a piece of their lives with me each day.
* To always be aware of how our words and actions,
either good or bad, can affect someone for
the rest of their lives.
* How good it feels to laugh.
* To dance, even if someone IS watching.
If I could give just one gift to everyone,
it would be the power of observation. It's so easy to be discouraged in the world today but if we take the time
to slow down and look,
there is much more good to see.
What have you observed lately?