Sunday, August 7, 2011

I have survived.

I have returned.

As you may have previously read, my week last week was peppered with a little of the good, the bad and the ugly.  As of Wednesday, I am able to add...and the creepy!

We arrived at our reserved campground right on time on  a perfectly beautiful day for camping.  I left my vehicle to enter the camp office only to discover they didn't open for 3 more hours.  Per instructions on the door, I completed a self check in.  I speedily jumped back into the car with great anticipation of the fun to come.

We rolled down our windows and followed the road.  It was a tattered and old tar road that all too soon merged into a bumpy dirt road.  I'm a country girl at heart so the dirt road didn't intimidate me in the least.  That is, until it got pretty rocky and very narrow and I was questioning myself as to whether or not I was on a road or a walking path! I kid you NOT!

The kids watched out their windows with intense diligence watching for any sign that would direct us to the B hill, campsite Blue Bird.  It sounded like a game of bingo as we would each call out...there is B13!  I see A2!  B27 is over there as we bounced and jiggled along.  We went up.  We went down.  We went right.  We went left.  We turned around. We repeated the above several times.  At one point, we did stumble upon a few RVs nestled amid some pretty dark woods but we never, ever saw a person.  Not one live person in the hour we searched.  After I nearly got stuck, I threw in the towel.

I stopped at the closed office door and slipped in a note requesting a full refund to my credit card as I couldn't find our site.   I smiled through our adventure but I will confess to you here...I was getting pretty freaked out inside.

The "kids", of course, were afraid I was going to make the trip back home.

Little did they know, I had spotted this place on our way to the creepy place:


to be continued...

13 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

ha ha. heated pool! now THAT'S a camping spot!

Sharon said...

Oh, goodness, you went further than I would have! Now the other one looks pretty good, although I like the camping with queen sized beds and a big screen tv....

Debbie @ Swampbilly Ranch said...

Heated pool AND pull throughs! Yea! I can't back a trailer to save my life.

Reena said...

Wise girl .... heated pool a must! I would have been freaking out as well!

Janie said...

Any pool for a kid is a treat. I hope you have a fun time with your kids. These are memorable moments that will stay with them and you forever.
As a child I never went camping until my late 20's. Some love it, some wouldn't even consider. I had many wonderful experiences all over the USA on the road with husband and two kids. Now they are grown and out with their own lives. To this day they still talk about some of the perdiciments we were in. Only we usually went out in the middle of no where, with less people, and less modern day things. Tell stories, your kids will not forget.

Kathy said...

Welcome back, Welcome To!

Heated Pool? Here in Texas we look for one where they put ice cubes in it!

Paula said...

Are you sure you weren't on our ranch? We have roads like that. Can't wait for the next instalment.

Debbie said...

on the edge of my seat here....i would def go with the heated pool!!!!

Unknown said...

I am waiting.........hope it turned out better!

Bonnie said...

Oh, girl! You are a brave woman. I can't wait to hear more of your adventure.

Samantha said...

Just had to post this as I'm researching camping sites! LOL!

Sounds very similar to our experience last summer...YIKES!!!

Donna said...

OH Nooo!!!
Can't wait to hear how it all turned out!
hughughugs

Nancy said...

Somehow, I think this visit would have been a bit more interesting if you had actually found your site. Their loss. :)