Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Serious Side of Life

UPDATE:
My brother just found out he does NOT have cancer
and will NOT require a transplant at this time.
I still ask that you all
consider becoming a donor for those
that may need it.




I have three siblings.
Two brothers,
one sister.
All older.


As the "baby" of the family,
I was probably more
indulged by each of them
then I ever
should have been.

My brothers are a year apart.
My brother and sister
are 10 months and 10 days apart.
I came 8 years later. =)

My sister and I have birthdays that
are 5 days apart.
For the last several years,
(since my Mom died)
we have tried to get together
one day between our birthdays
to celebrate our big days together.

Every birthday is a special one.
However, each one of my sisters
birthdays for the past two years
have been cause for even
greater celebration
than usual.

You see,
almost 2 years ago,
my sister had a liver transplant.
It saved her life.
It allowed her to continue
to be a wonderful wife, mother, sister,
aunt, grandmother and friend.

Here we are today.
My oldest brother needs a new liver.
He will meet with the transplant
team at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.
today.

My brother is a great
husband, father, brother,
uncle, grandfather (of 10!) and friend.
Like my sister,
he is well loved and needed by many.

None of us take the gift of life lightly.
We pray for the donors' families daily.
Without them,
I wouldn't have my sister.
Today,
I am praying I don't lose my brother.
I pray that someone chooses
to Give Life.

If you haven't
elected to become a donor yet,
I am asking you to consider it.
Not just for my family,
but for every family
that may need it.

Thank you.
Jill




5 comments:

Valerie said...

Jill, this is beautiful. You made me cry. I love you, Valerie

Jackie said...

I'll be praying for your brother just as I did for Valerie. Sweet and thoughtful blog Jill...you REALLY ARE the baby aren't you :)

nanniepannie said...

Hey Jill,
I'll be praying that a match is found. Thanks for stopping by. If you really want those birds, I found them in the bins up front.They are covered with strips of newspaper. Good luck!

Kathy said...

Hello Jill,
I am so glad I stopped by, I will pray for you and your siblings. My parents died several years back and we 5 were all we had left. In January of 2010 my brother Tim - the middle child was murdered by his best friend and roommate - this was a very - still is - thing for us - we got together on his birthday to celebrate his life - His birthday this year falls on Mother's day - which 10 years ago my mother passed away the day after - each day is precious - each celebration you can have with your family is important!
I hope all goes well,
Kathy - I am the eldest by the way
(Tim was only 40 when he was killed and had never been married)

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news about your brother!! Your post made me smile: my sisters were 15 and 16 when I was born, and they never really said that I was indulged. They said I was SPOILED! And they probably were right!